Pages

11.07.2012

Anti-Shampoo

I don't shampoo my hair.  Some people call it the "no-poo" method.  I haven't used shampoo since June - and I have no plans to turn back!


I had a friend in college who raved about her experience going shampoo-free for a while.  I try to live a natural lifestyle, and I'm bit by bit decreasing my use of chemicals and scary ingredients in my daily life.  But when I heard about using baking soda on your scalp to wash your hair, I was intrigued for hair health reasons in addition to the artificial chemical-free approach.  Baking soda doesn't strip your hair of all its natural oils like shampoo does, leaving your scalp more naturally balanced.  I've found that my hair is softer, easier to style, has more body, and can last longer between washes.  Not to mention that it's cheaper! 

All you do is saturate baking soda in water in a bottle (appx 1 tablespoon per cup is a good place to start, but there is no science here.  I find that the more baking soda I put in the "cleaner" my hair feels).  Apply the solution directly to your scalp and work it in with your fingertips.  Then rinse as usual.  I follow up with a natural unscented conditioner on only my ends, but if you're interested in going all out, squirt apple cider vinegar as you would conditioner.  

Would you try it?

2 comments:

  1. I've actually heard a lot about this but I'm scared to try it! This has got me thinking maybe I should try it, I have a few questions though. What kind of bottle do you put the baking soda in? and do you just apply it to your scalp or all of your hair?

    on a side note, I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog tonight I love it!

    shygirlloudvoice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scared to try it at first too, but there's nothing to lose! I just use a water bottle that I can squirt the solution right onto my scalp. I don't use it on my ends; I do use conditioner on ends only.

      Delete