This simple eggplant dish makes for a great weeknight dinner or lovely appetizer to share with friends. It's simple too! With a few key reminders, it's foolproof and sure to be amazing.
First, salt and drain the eggplant to get out the bitter water. Once it has drained for at least 30 minutes, cook the slices in a bit of olive oil in a skillet.
Roll each slice around mozzarella. Feel free to add in a slice of prosciutto, or maybe some grated parmigiano too!
Secure with a toothpick, and bake along with tomato sauce. Serve along with a ceasar salad, or perhaps some simple pasta tossed with olive oil, parmigiano, and black pepper.
1 Eggplant, sliced lengthwise
2 tbsp Olive Oil
4 oz Mozzarella, sliced into thick matchsticks
Your favorite tomato sauce*
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle eggplant generously with salt, and let drain in a colander for at least 30 minutes.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Rinse eggplant, pat dry, and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until it begins to soften.
3. Roll each eggplant slice around a piece of mozzarella, secure with a toothpick.
4. Coat the bottom of a cast iron skillet or baking dish with tomato sauce. Layer in eggplant rolls, and cover with more tomato sauce.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or until hot and bubbling.