Pages

3.13.2013

Au Naturale: Deodorant

I have been trying to go more natural with my cosmetic and grooming products.  Facial products and shower products have been quite easy, thanks to Queen Bee and Whole Foods.  But deodorant? That was one that just kept failing for me.

As I looked for a natural deodorant, my requirements were 1) keeping me clean and fresh all day, 2) all natural and healthful ingredients made in a way that is friendly to the environment, and 3) continued protection, even during runs and hot yoga.  Turns out this was a tall order.


First I tried Tom's natural deodorant.  I love the Tom's brand toothpaste, but the deodorant just did not work for me.  I even did a midday run to the drugstore for some new deodorant because I was so self-conscious!  I know it works for some people, but Tom's just did not mesh with my body.


I had heard some good things about a crystal-based deodorant from a few sources that I trust.  So I decided to give it a try.  I found it at Whole Foods, but it is sold in most drug stores as well as online.  It was weird at first, since you need to wet the bar before applying, and also because it was a bit rough in texture.  Nothing uncomfortable, but not the smooth creamy stick I was used to.  Luckily, I loved it! It worked great for the whole day, even the first time I tried it (apparently some people need a "transition period" before it really works to its full potential).

I have been using crystal-based deodorant for a few months now, and am still happy with the results.  Though it sounds a bit unconventional and possibly weird, I am so glad I gave it a try! I feel so much more confident in applying a pure product rather than one that is laden with chemicals.  If you are looking for a natural deodorant, I highly recommend it!


Do you use a natural deodorant? What works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment