Pages

1.09.2012

Starting Fresh, Starting Clean



When I was home over the Christmas holiday, I kept up with one of my favorite traditions- "borrowing" my mom's updated magazines.  One of my favorites- Whole Living! It always has a beautiful layout, happy articles, and useful tips.  The most recent issue included a really interesting article about January cleansing, including a month-long dietary cleansing plan.  I found it really intriguing.  January is a great time to hit the reset button, and start the year off with good healthy habits.  This cleanse seemed really doable, and full of appealing plant-based recipes.  So I jumped right in!

I started the cleanse on Friday, January 6th, so I'm on day #3.  The cleanse suggests cutting out alcohol (no red wine!), caffeine (oh... coffee!?), dairy, processed foods, added sugar (my dear chocolate...), and gluten.  The premise is to consume a whole lot of naturally detoxing vegetables and fruits throughout the first week to help your body jumpstart the detox.  

I actually have really enjoyed following this plan so far! The first day was a challenge.  I felt hungry, cold, and generally "down." My body was definitely going through some change! Days 2 and 3 have been way better.  I have found a rhythm and now know what my body needs (and what it doesn't) to keep satisfied and running happily.  


I have been starting the day with a green smoothie.  Green apple, banana, kale, and parsley.  I know I know... it sounds (and looks) totally bizarre.  I promise it is really quite delicious though! I have been surprised at how this concoction keeps me running all morning.


Another love of mine is the Kale and Cabbage Slaw.  Interested in trying out a vegan raw salad, overflowing with nutrients and healthy fats? Give this one a try! Check out the recipe below from Whole Living.  I will keep you updated on how this cleansing adventure continues as the weeks progress.  Happy Monday!

Kale and Cabbage Slaw
Recipe from Whole Living

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 cups mixed kale and red cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, julienned
1/4 cup fresh parsley
2 tbsp red onion, diced
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp hemp seeds
Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, mustard, and apple cider vinegar.  Season with salt and pepper.

2. In a large bowl, combine kale, cabbage, carrot, parsley, and red onion.  Add sunflower, pumpkin, and hemp seeds.

3. Add dressing, toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper as needed.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment