Do you like rice crispy treats? Okay, I know this can be a highly contended issue... let's just say that if you do like them, you are about to experience nirvana. And if you don't? You're going to change your mind.
These are not your normal rice crispy treats. Not even close. Let me break it down for you: brown butter. sea salt. rice crispy. treats. dipped in chocolate.
I know you want them.... The good news is that they are super easy to throw together, requiring few ingredients and few tools. Ready? Give the recipe a try!
Brown Butter Sea Salt Rice Crispy Treats
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus extra for the pan
1, 10-oz bag marshmallows
Heaping 1/4 tsp course sea salt (smoked sea salt is a great choice too!)
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1, 4-oz bar of bittersweet chocolate (optional)
1. Coat an 8-inch square cake pan with butter (or non-stick spray).*
2. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Allow it to melt, foam, turn golden, and eventually turn brown and smell nutty and glorious. Stir frequently and do not take your eyes off the pot! The butter can go from perfect to burnt in no time flat.
3. Turn off heat, stir in marshmallows until melted and smooth. Return to heat if necessary to make marshmallows smooth.
4. Mix together salt and cereal. Add marshmallow mixture, stirring to thoroughly coat cereal.
5. Quickly spread into prepared pan, pressing the top flat. Let cool. Cut into 16 squares.
6. Melt chocolate on top of a double boiler until smooth. Dip rice crispy treat squares in chocolate as you like. I prefer to dip half or a corner of each square into chocolate to allow for a non-chocolatey "handle" to make it less messy to eat. Once dipped in chocolate, place on a piece of parchment paper to cool.
7. Prepare to obsess over your new creation.